Translate

Friday, April 22, 2016

More About Gerald, The Goblin Savant!

"Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

Today, I wish to talk a little more about myself. But first I must apologize for not posting anything lately. I must confess that I am not only a fan of 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons, but I also enjoy playing Magic the Gathering. Recently, Wizards of the Coast released the Shadows over Innistrad card set, and since I was a huge fan of the original Innistrad block, I have been spending my free time looking at the new cards, trying to devise a new deck to play with, but in the end I'll probably stick to playing limited games, as they are my favorite.

With that out of the way, let us get to the introduction. In my first post I already explained a little about myself, but to expand upon that, I will tell you about my occupation. I am the Chief Engineer aboard the GC Adler von Lubeck, A Galleon Class Zeppelin. Capitan Delmar Armando de Eduardo commands this glorious vessel, and consequently, reigns as the only Spaniard to captain an imperial zeppelin. Captain Delmar's First Mate, Melusine Sauer, follows the captain with complete loyalty. She tends to be grumpy, and she never smiles (opposite of the Captain), but the crew highly respects her.

Now a number of weeks ago, I discussed that Ian Overman will illustrate me and my inventions. Last week, he characterized some rough drafts. Unfortunately, his initial impression of me was placed in the misbegotten premise that goblins are akin to the smelly evil beasts found in novels such as the Lord of the Rings, and subsequently Dungeons & Dragons. I suppose we share the appearance of the little beasts, so I can understand the misconception; however, my kind tend to relate more to the disposition of gnomes in D&D than goblins. Here, I present his first impression:







As you can see, I look angry and bossy, and poor Arnold (holding the shovel) looks absolutely barbaric. Perhaps the other goblins aboard feel that I am a tad bossy, But it is imperative to keep a tight ship.

















 Here I am in my lucky hat, and dressed up for the annual imperial officer's ball.



















Here, I am telling our recently recruited scout to be careful on the spider lines. In case you are wondering, I do not use colloquials such as 'ya', 'gotta', and 'yer'.

I distinctly recall saying, "You must use extreme caution when climbing the spider lines, kid." I rather pride myself in refined linguistic skills, having graduated top of my class from Heidelberg University. However, most of the crew exercise such jargon in their daily discourse.
















I am posing here for a second draft of me in the engine room. I had recently shaved and I must have misplaced my lucky hat. I'm not sure why I shaved; I rather appreciate my beard.














Currenty, Ian is sketching a 3rd (final, maybe), draft and I look forward to posting it.

I also thought it might prove fun to have some stories highlighting the adventures aboard the GC Adler von Lubeck in the future. Let me know if this sounds interesting and I will."

~ Gerald der Zeichner, the Goblin Savant

No comments:

Post a Comment